Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Spinach, Chicken and Cheese Enchiladas
Make and share this Spinach, Chicken and Cheese Enchiladas recipe from Food.com.
- 3 large chicken breasts
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves (fresh)
- 1 red onion (diced)
- 10 mushrooms (diced)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces Philadelphia Cream Cheese (I use 1/3 less fat)
- 10 whole wheat tortillas
- 2 (12 ounce) cans enchilada sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2. Fill pot with water, and boil chicken until juices run clear. Pull chicken from water and let it rest for 10-15 minutes to cool down.
- 3. While chicken is cooling, chop your red onion and mushrooms.
- 4. In a skillet melt 2 tbsp of butter, and toss in your chopped onions and mushrooms. Let them cook to your preferred tenderness.
- 5. Toss in fresh baby spinach, and cook until the leaves are a dark green. About 4-5 minutes. Do not let it cook to long, or the leaves will become mushy.
- 6. Remove the skillet from the heat. Set aside to cool.
- 7. Return to your chicken, and with two forks shred the chicken into small pieces.
- 8. After you've shredded your chicken add it to the skillet, season with pepper, chili powder and garlic powder.
- 9. Stir in sour cream and softened cream cheese into your skillet until everything is coated (If your cream cheese isn't softened, you can can place it in a bowl and microwave it for 40-60 seconds.)
- 10. Open the cans of your favorite enchilada sauce and dump them in a large bowl.
- 11. Take your tortillas and heat them in the microwave for 10-25 seconds. You want them to be able to roll without breaking.
- 12. Dip each tortilla in the sauce.
- 13. Fill the tortilla with 2-3 tbsp of the chicken, spinach and cheese mixture.
- 14. Roll Tortilla up and place in 13x9 inch baking pan.
- 15. Continue with the remaining tortillas, until the pan is full.
- 16. Take remaining sauce and pour it over the enchiladas.
- 17. Bake at 375 until the sauce is bubbling, about 15-25 minutes.
- 18. Take pan out and cover with shredded cheese, return to oven until cheese is melted.
- 19. Remove pan and let the enchiladas rest.
- 20. Serve with sour cream, olives, lettuce, rice any of your favorite garnishes.