Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
How to Make Everything; Mark Bittman.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh spinach, trimmed and well washed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1⁄2 cup minced scallion
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 lb feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 lb cottage cheese or 1⁄2 lb ricotta cheese, drained
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh dill leaves
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
- 1⁄2 lb phyllo dough (about 15 sheets)
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- Steam or parboil the spinach until it wilts; drain, squeeze dry, and chop.
- Add olive oil to a medium skillet; place over medium heat.
- Add in onion and scallion; cook/stir about 5 minutes, until softened.
- Add in spinach, salt, pepper, and nutmeg; stir.
- Beat the eggs with the cheese; stir into the spinach mixture along with the dill and parsley; remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Unroll phyllo sheets and cut them into thirds the long way.
- Working with 1 piece at a time, brush lightly with butter, then sprinkle lightly with bread crumbs.
- Place 1 heaping teaspoon of spinach filling in one corner of the dough and fold the corner over to make a triangle.
- Continue to fold the phyllo, , making triangles, as you learned to do with a flag.
- As each piece is finished, brush its top with butter and place on a baking sheet.
- When all the triangles are done, bake for about 20 minutes, or until nicely browned.
- Let rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.