Recipe by Divaconviva
I found this in my mother's collection of recipe clippings, from the 1960's. The only change I made was to reduce the salt to one-half teaspoon. You could probably substitute frozen chopped spinach to save time. I think these taste great at room temperature.
Top Review by Midnight Sun Chef
I made this for a baby shower brunch and thought it was pretty good, but was missing something. I think next time I will try the pepper jack as I think that will probably make this perfect. Very easy, thanks for posting this keeper!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 lb monterey jack cheese, shredded (Sometimes I use jack cheese with jalapenos)
- 4 cups spinach, fresh chopped, cooked and drained very well (I use bagged baby spinach, no washing & cooks in 2 minutes)
- 3 -4 tablespoons onions, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mixed Italian herbs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in a 9 X 13 pan. Either melt butter in microwave and then pour into pan, or place baking pan with butter into oven for a minute or two; then remove from oven and tip the pan so that the butter coats evenly on bottom and sides.
- Beat eggs.
- Mix flour into beaten eggs.
- Stir in milk, salt and baking powder.
- Add cheese and spinach, mixing well.
- Add onion and seasonings, stirring thoroughly.
- Spread into baking pan and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
- Cool 30 minutes before serving.
- Cut 6 across and 9 down for the perfect sized finger-food appetizer.