Recipe by SJG3483
Spinach and cheese make a great pair. This recipe reminds me of spanakopita, only without the greasy phyllo dough. If you prefer, you can use a different chopped vegetable.
Top Review by Little Bee
This was delicious! I topped with shredded Swiss Cheese (couldn't find Muenster) and thinly sliced tomatoes on the top during the last 10 minutes. It tasted wonderful! What a nice brunch dish! The tomatoes on the top made it pretty
- 1 frozen pie shell
- 3 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup low fat cottage cheese (or no-fat if you prefer)
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 package sliced muenster cheese (at least 6 slices)
- 1 sliced tomatoes (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain spinach well, pressing between layers of paper towels.
- Combine spinach, onion, cottage cheese, eggs, salt, and pepper.
- Spoon into pie shell.
- Place the pie shell on a baking pan or something to catch the drippings.
- Cover and bake at 350 for until almost set, about 45 minutes.
- Arrange the cheese slices on the pie and then put back in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until the cheese melts.
- Let it cool for at least 10 minutes.
- If desired, garnish with tomato slices.