Recipe by SweetySJD
This is another L&T recipe I really want to try. It's lighter than the classic version of this recipe. Passive work time includes chilling, sitting before baking and oven time, but does NOT include overnight in the refrigerator.
Top Review by tjaskolka
Pretty easy to make and enjoyed by all, even my picky husband didn't object. :) I substituted a bar of neufchatel for the cottage cheese and did 2 cups each of the mozzarella & cheddar. It also did not sit overnight. We had unexpected out-of-town company drop by and I took a chance and baked it right after assembly for our guest. Don't know what difference the overnight treatment would have made, it was great without the wait.
- 6 sheets phyllo dough (14x9 inches)
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 1⁄2 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 cups reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 cups fat-free cottage cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 cups nonfat milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Layer three phyllo sheets in a 13x9x2-inch baking dish coated with nonstick spray, lightly spraying the top of each sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, combine, spinach, cheeses, 2 eggs, parsley, and salt. Spread over phyllo. Top with remaining phyllo, again spraying each sheet.
- Using a sharp knife, cut into 12 squares; cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Beat egg whites, 2 eggs, and milk; pour over casserole. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 1 hour before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees for 40-50 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean and top is golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.