Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Parade Magazine: Looks terrible but taste absolutely awesome!! Easy to make and quick to get eaten. (I FIXED THE DIRECTIONS!! THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO REVIEWED AND EXPRESSED CONFUSION - I'M SORRY I HAD LEFT OUT WHEN TO ADD THE REST OF THE BUTTER AND FLOUR! ALL CORRECTED NOW!!
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 16 ounces low fat cottage cheese (approx. 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 lb low-fat sharp cheddar cheese, grated (approx. 4 cups)
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Drain spinach well. Saute onion and garlic in 2 Tbsp of the melted butter.
- Mix spinach with eggs, cottage cheese and cheddar cheese, additonal 6 Tbsp butter, and flour. Add sauteed onions and garlic and mix together. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour into prepared dish and bake for 1 hour.
Yummy! Veggie hating dd loved it and veggie loving ds gobbled up 2 portions...and he is only 15 months old. :) I cut the recipe in half, and used 2 tablespoons of smart balance spread instead of butter in the casserole and sauteed the onion and garlic in EVOO. I used half 2% milk cheddar and part skim mozzarella. I used whole wheat flour instead of all purpose flour and baked this for exactly an hour. It was a great side dish to compliment the honey mustard chicken I made, the best part was that the leftovers made a great breakfast. This is a keeper for sure, thanks so much for sharing!
Really good. I sauteed the onions and garlic in olive oil instead of butter. Left out the flour and used half cheddar and half mozzarella. Next time I'm going to add something to give it a bit of a spicy kick.
Actually, it doesn't look terrible! It looks (and tastes) great. I love bubbling cheesy oven bakes. I put halves tomatoes on top before baking which, with sprinkled chopped parsley to serve, made it look pretty darn good.