1/2 Photos of Spinach, Cheese, and Sausage Stuffed Shells OAMC
1 hr 10 mins
I found this in a magazine and decided to try it. So glad I did! I made it for the first time last night and it is really great. I used 9 oz. fresh spinach instead of the frozen spinach, and it worked great. My husband even liked it, and he is not normally a spinach person. I used most of a 26 oz jar for 1/2 a recipe, so you may need more sauce than called for. I'm sure you could use homemade, too. Be flexible! Also, this recipe makes quite a bit. I am cooking for two people, and I froze half the stuffed shells for another time, and there were still plenty of leftovers. Freezing them works great! I flash froze the stuffed shells on a cookie sheet, then dumped them in a ziploc and stashed them in the deep freeze. I let them defrost for a day. Then you just have to add sauce, and cook! Perfect weeknight meal, but good enough to serve to company.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces jumbo pasta shells
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3/4 lb ground sausage
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 egg
- 16 ounces part-skim ricotta cheese
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen spinach, chopped, thawed, and drained
- 26 ounces spaghetti sauce with basil
- 1Cook pasta shells according to directions. Drain, rinse, and let drain again.
- 2Saute onion in oil about 5 minutes. Add ground sausage and garlic. Cook until sausage is done. Cool.
- 3Beat egg slightly. Add ricotta cheese, mozzerella cheese, parmesan cheese, spinach, and cooled sausage mixture. Mix well.
- 4Stuff shells. (This is where I flash-froze half of them).
- 5Put 1 c of spagetti sauce in bottom of corningware (or 9x13 pan, or something else). Add shells. Pour the rest of the sauce on top. Sprinkle with more mozzerella or parmesan cheese, if desired.
- 6Cook at 350 for 30 minutes, covered. Cook 10 minutes uncovered.
Browse Our Top Pasta Shells Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta Shells Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spinach, Cheese, and Sausage Stuffed Shells OAMC
Serving Size: 1 (322 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 518.7
- Calories from Fat 238
- Total Fat 26.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.4 g
- Cholesterol 89.2 mg
- Sodium 575.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 29.7 g