Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Easily veganized (simply substitute soy mozzarella for regular) this delicious casserole is a mainstay in my house. Tastes rather like a lasagna-type dish, and can hold many substitutions (mushrooms are fabulous in here too!)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 16 ounces Baby Spinach
- 12 ounces tofu, crumbled
- 26 ounces prepared pasta sauce, divided
- 2 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups instant brown rice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat oil in a heavy pan. Over medium heat, cook onion and garlic until softened and golden brown.
- Add spinach to pan. Cover pan to steam until wilted.
- Add tofu and one cup pasta sauce.
- Spray 9x13-inch baking pan with non-stick spray. Pour remaining pasta sauce into the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle rice over this and top with one cup mozzarella. Next layer is the spinach/tofu mixture, finally topped with remaining one cup of mozzarella.
- Bake 30 minutes until bubbly and hot, and the rice is fully cooked.
I can't thank u enough for this recipe!! I found it at the last minute for my dinner tonight (am the lone vegetarian in my family LOL!) and it was just what I wanted! I followed the recipe pretty closely; cut it down for one serving. I used diced mushrooms for the tofu, low fat cheese & added seasonings to the pasta sauce & brown rice for more flavor. I did use a bit more cheese hee hee! I didn't mix some sauce into the spinach mixture, but layered it on top instead. I baked it at 400 for about 15 min in my toaster oven. Fantastic & THANK YOU!!
I made this the other night and even the family members who do not like spinach liked it and asked me to add it to our regular menu! Now that is a compliment! :) I used red onion and mushroom spaghetti sauce. Thank you!
An excellent and easy to make recipe. I used regular brown rice, added about 1-1 1/2 cups more water to the pasta sauce and cooked for an hour. Thanks for posting this.