Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
When choosing salads as a low-fat diet choice be careful of ingredients used and the amount of dressing drizzled over the salad. Both can add up fat grams and calories quickly.
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 1⁄2 cup cashews, pieces
- 5 ounces spinach
- 1⁄2 head lettuce, about 8 ounces bagged
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
Poppy Seed Dressing:
- 2⁄3 cup oil
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons red onions, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- Chop bacon and fry until crisp.
- Drain on paper towel to remove as much excess fat as possible. Wash spinach and lettuce then tear leaves into bite size pieces.
- Place in Salad bowl.
- Add cashew pieces, grated cheese, and crumbled bacon.
- Toss when ready to serve. Serve with poppy seed dressing.
- NOTE: Fat grams may be reduced to 1 gram per serving if bacon and cashews are eliminated.
- Each add approximately 3 grams of fat per serving.
- Poppy Seed Dressing: Place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
- Alternate method: finely grate onion, add remaining ingredients and beat with mixer until well blended.
This is really an outstanding salad. My DD likes the dressing so much that we use it on other salads also. But be warned, it is possible to blend the dressing too long so it emulsifies into a gelatinous goop, something like mayonnaise. Guess who did that one? The first time I made it, i wanted to use the blender to chop up the onion ... oops! Now I still put a chunk of onion in the blender with the vinegar, but hold the rest of the ingredients until the onion is pretty much pulverized.
We LOVE this salad! I was a little worried because the dressing smelled a little overpowering and I really didn't think I would like it but it tasted really good on this salad. My husband was really leary but he loved this also. I don't think it needs the cheese so I will skip that next time. I also used the ready made bacon because I really don't like cooking bacon. Thanks for this wonderful salad recipe!
We enjoyed this spinach salad with cashews very much. The bacon always gives a special touch. Will make again. Thanks for posting.