Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups frozen southern style hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 (11 ounce) can refrigerated breadstick dough
- cooking spray
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed,drained squeezed dry
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 5 large egg whites
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 1⁄4 cups crumbled feta cheese (5 oz)
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, sugar, and salt.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in potatoes; cook for 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Unroll dough, separating into strips.
- Working on a flat surface, coil one strip of dough around itself in a spiral pattern.
- Add second strip of dough to the end of the first strip pinching ends together to seal.
- Continue coiling the dough.
- Repeat procedure with the remaining dough strips.
- Cover and let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll the dough into a 12 inch circle; fit into a 10 inch deep dish pie plate coated with cooking spray.
- Spread potato mixture in bottom of prepared crust and top with spinach.
- Combine the milk, egg whites, egg yolks, and cheese; pour milk mixture over spinach.
- Bake at 350 degrees or until set, shielding crust with foil after 50 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.