Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
If you are a spinach lover, these make a great side dish for a dinner party. I originally found this recipe on Food Network courtesy of Emeril.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs, plain
- 1 teaspoon parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons white wine
- 1 teaspoon spice essence
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat until melted. Stir in 1 tablespoon flour, stirring constantly until mixture turns light brown.
- Add onion to saucepan and cook 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Reduce heat. Gradually stir in milk and cook until mixture boils and thickens about 2 minutes. Stir in spinach (make sure it is DRY), salt, pepper, cayenne and garlic.
- Remove from heat, stir in breadcrumbs, parmesan and wine. Let cool until it can be handled.
- Divide into 4 portions and shape into patties.
- Combine essence with remaining flour and coat patties.
- Brown on both sides in oil in a medium skillet.