Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 28 mins
I love to order spinach burritos when I can find them. I didn't even realize that I had a recipe for them until now. From Taste of Home (August/September 1998)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons margarine
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, chopped thawed and drained
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 (10 inch) flour tortillas
- 3⁄4 cup picante sauce or 3⁄4 cup salsa, divided
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded and divided (I like to use Monterey Jack with spinach)
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a skillet, saute the onion and garlic in margarine until tender.
- Add spinach and pepper, cook 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
- Place 3 tablespoons of the spinach mixture on each tortilla and top with 1 tablespoon picante sauce and 2 tablespoons of cheese.
- Roll into burrito, place seam side down in a 9 x 13 baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- Top with remaining salsa and cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly.
My family and guests thought this was not very burrito like, but very good stuff. I used roasted garlic salsa. The only change I would make next time would be to try adding some rice to the filling. Easy and delicious. Thanks for sharing.
These were very good. I probably used more cheese than called for because I love cheese (used a mix of sharp cheddar and jack). I didn't have a problem with the amount of spinach mixture because we folded in the sides then rolled the tortillas (real burrito style my bf informed me). The only thing I would do differently is mix salsa, cheese and spinach and then fill tortillas. Some bites were all cheese and others were all spinach. Thanks for a really easy and yummy weeknight recipe.
If these didn't taste so darn good, I'd give this recipe a lot fewer stars because the ingredient amounts are WAY off. I only had enough spinach mixture to fill 5 burritos, and I used ALL the salsa and only filled 5 burritos (following instructions exactly). I ended up filling the sixth tortilla with refried beans and using an extra 1/2 cup of salsa for the top. Next time I'll try using more spinach and maybe smaller tortillas (it was quite bread-y). With all that said, they were quite tasty.