Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Had this at a friends house and it was sooo good!!! I think she got it from Allrecipes.com
- 1 (10 ounce) package spinach, rinsed and chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) packageof shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Place spinach in a medium saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil. Lower heat to simmer and cook until spinach is limp, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, salt and baking powder. Stir in eggs, milk and butter. Mix in spinach, onion and mozzarella cheese.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Bake in the preheated oven 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool before serving.
This dish is even better at room temperature or cold than it is hot. I used frozen spinach (thawed and squeezed out) and sauteed the onion with a few cloves of minced garlic before adding them to the mix. The squares have a pie crust taste about them after baked, similar to a quiche. I halved the recipe and used a square baking pan, same cooking time, and they turned out perfectly.
Hello seemefli, I made these for the nursing home where I live - it is a Cuban facility and anything green gives them an allergy! (LOL) However, when we made these we sliced them very thin and as a previous reviewer stated, I added cilantro, red pepper flakes, a dash of nutmeg and Parmesan cheese. We also used some of the cheese as a garnish for the top. These tasted awesome, as I love spinach, but they were a great success! Thank you so much for posting, Manami :)
I have tried this recipe several times and it has turned out great, and enjoyed by everyone. I use baby spinach, so that I can skip direction # 2. I have also added 4 green chillies and 1/2 cup chopped corriander; a dash of pepper and 1/2 cup Grana Padano parmesan cheese. I save some of the shredded mozzarella to sprinkle on the top. My family refers to this as "Spinach Squares" and it is surely a delish one!!!