Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a beautiful potluck item, besides tasting like a little bit of heaven. I've made it for years and got the recipe from one of our potlucks at work years ago.
- 2 loaves frozen bread
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach (squeeze dry)
- 1 lb breakfast sausage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 2 (4 ounce) packagesshredded mozzarella cheese or 1 (8 ounce) packageshredded mozzarella cheese
- Fry and scramble sausage in frying pan.
- Drain off fat.
- In a bowl, mix sausage, spinach, garlic, Italian seasoning, and half of mozzarella cheese; mix well.
- With rolling pin, roll out dough very thin in a rectangle. Sprinkle 1/2 the sausage mixture on 1 loaf of bread and fold sides in and pin with toothpicks to hold.
- Put on cookie sheet.
- Do other loaf the same way.
- Brush with egg white and bake at 350° for 25 minutes or till light golden brown.
- Let cool a little.
- Slice into about 2 inch slices and ENJOY!
This made a beautiful (and HUGE) sausage and spinach loaf when I halved the recipe. I think I could have fed at least 6 with the one loaf. The flavors were very nice all together, but it was missing something. Next time I make this (and I will make it again), I will add a sauce for dipping, perhaps a good marinara sauce. Thanks for posting this recipe, Darlene!
This was easier to make than I thought and it was a hit as an appetizer! I went exactly by the recipe, except since I'm not too good at rolling out dough, the loaves were oblong shaped, but still tasted good. I also used the idea of having a marinara sauce for dipping. This would also work well as a main entree, maybe adding some mushroomsand onion, and serving with a salad. Any way you eat it, it will be good!
I took it to a potluck last night and everyone was raving about it. I will admit that I did up the garlic to 3 cloves but I always up the garlic in recipes. I also added some fresh grated parmesean cheese simply because I like it. For some reason it took longer that the listed time for mine to bake. I was going to serve some marinara sauce eith it but forgot to bring it. No one seemed to miss it.