Recipe by A Messy Cook
Yum! Serve this flavorful dip with toasted pita chips for a great low-fat appetizer or snack. Recipe courtesy of Chef Carrie Balkcom, Denver, CO.
Top Review by Chef Whirlwind
I made it and followed all the directions almost exactly. Only I used half butter, half oil. I also fried the onions until browned it took about 20 minutes, but the flavor was so worth the extra cooking time. I had no idea what sweet curry powder was so I put in about 1/8 tsp each of cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, garam masala, and nutmeg. I used full fat yogurt. And finally I used a 1lb package of thawed frozen spinach that I squeezed the water out of. It was delicious. It was more spinachy and less dippy but was totally delicious and plan on making it again and again.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sweet curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 bunches fresh spinach, washed and dried
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion and garlic in butter until soft.
- Add mixed spices and stir in hot sauce.
- Blend yogurt into mixture.
- Add spinach and cover; cook over medium heat until spinach is just wilted.
- Remove from heat, mix well, and season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.