Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 3⁄4 cup coarsely chopped macadamia nuts
- 4 blood oranges (if unavailable, you can use regular oranges)
- 5 cups baby spinach leaves, washed, stemmed, dried and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup cooked corn
- 1⁄2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons hazelnut oil
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh blood orange juice, reserved from sectioning fruit
- In a small dry skillet, toast macadamia nuts over medium heat until light golden brown and fragrent, about 2 to 3 minutes; remove from heat.
- Peel and section oranges over bowl to catch juices.
- Cut segments into 1/2-inch dice.
- Reserve juice for dressing.
- In large bowl, combine toasted nuts, orange, spinach and corn.
- Make dressing: In small bowl, combine garlic, mustard, salt and pepper to taste.
- With fork, mash to smooth paste.
- Add vinegar and whisk until smooth.
- Whisk in oil in thin stream until dressing had thickened.
- Whisk in reserved orange juice.
- Correct seasoning, adding salt or orange juice to taste.
- Just before serving, pour dressing over salad and toss until spinach is lightly coated.
This was an awesome salad, yum yum! I did make some adjustments according to our taste though: half as many macadamias (whole), twice as much greens (baby greens), skipped the corn, and added 1/4 oz. per person crumbled blue cheese. The blue cheese fit this recipe like a glove, and balances the flavors nicely. One adjustment to make to the directions is in the blood orange juice. You won't get much juice out as you are slicing the sections. You will need to have half a blood orange dedicated to squeeze for each tablespoon of juice you desire. DH says "you can make it for company". We'll definitely be making it again!