Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
I invented this to clean out the fridge, but my husband and father and I really enjoyed it. Makes a great snack or a complete meal with Mexican rice or my Simple Mexican Side Salad.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 -2 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 4 -6 cups Baby Spinach
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 -3 cups vegan mozzarella cheese or 2 -3 cups vegan mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 cups fresh salsa (homemade is best)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sautee the onion and garlic in the olive oil in a large skillet or pan. Add the chillis and heat, stirring, until oil takes on a slightly red color.
- Add black bean, taco seasoning, cumin, and a little water or broth to prevent burning. Heat the beans over low to medium heat, stirring occasionally. Mash some of the beans to thicken the consistency.
- Add the spinach (with a little more water, if necessary). Stir it in to the bean mixture. Cover and turn heat down to low. Steam for about 2 minutes or until the spinach is just wilted. Do not overcook.
- Distribute the spinach-black bean mixture between 6 corn tortillas on baking sheets. Sprinkle with desired amount of vegan cheese. Top each one with another tortilla. Bake in oven 7-10 minutes or until cheese is melted. If desired, cut each quesadilla into 4 triangles with a pizza cutter. Serve with fresh salsa.