Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 mins
Fresh and juicy during spring and summer months, strawberries are delicious when combined with tender spinach, creamy goat cheese and crunchy toasted almonds.
- 1⁄3 cup almonds, slivered
- 4 cups Baby Spinach
- 3⁄4 cup strawberry, quartered
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ounce soft fresh goat cheese
- salt and pepper
- Place the almonds in a dry skillet or saute pan. Cook over low heat, shaking the pan the entire time until the almonds are toasting. The almonds are done when you start to smell a "nutty" scent.
- Remove almonds from the pan to cool. (Do not cool in the skillet because they will burn from the heat that remains in the pan.)
- Prepare the dressing by placing the vinegar, mustard, and honey in a mixing bowl. Slowly whisk in the oil.
- Place the spinach in a large bowl. Add the strawberries, almonds, and dressing. Toss to coat. Top with goat cheese. If desired, season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately. 1 1/4 cups per serving.
- Instead of slicing strawberries for the salad, quarter them. Quartered strawberries are easier to pick up with a fork.
- When you include caloric, high-flavor ingredients such as nuts or cheese in a salad, spread the flavor around by finely chopping, crumbling, or slicing those ingredients. A little will truly go a long way.
- Top this or any salad with three ounces of your favorite lean protein to give it some staying power.