Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the October/November 2001 issue of Taste of Home, this was a 2nd place winner, credited to Carol Hicks.
- 6 ounces uncooked angel hair pasta
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) jar meatless sauce
- 1 teaspoon creole seasoning
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Add eggs and Parmesan cheese.
- Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-inch deep dish pie plate.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in spaghetti sauce and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Between two pieces of waxed paper, roll out cream cheese into a 7 inch circle.
- Place in the crust.
- Top with spinach and meat sauce.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until set.
Great supper! My ds made this for supper and we all loved it! The only change we made was using peas instead of spinach (out of spinach) and used only 1/2 of the cream cheese suggested (again all I hand on hand). I think the leftovers will be great for lunches! Thanks for sharing!
Even better reheated the second day! I used a bag of fresh spinach rather than frozen. I just chopped it and let it wilt in the pan while the sauce simmered. I love recipes like this that are open to interpretation - you can spice it up or not. We did Italian seasoning rather than cajun.
Honestly, I wish that I could give this more stars. I did not use the creole seasoning. I had a five cheese "Italian" combination which was used in the crust and on top. The flavors blend so nicely. Thanks for posting; off to eat more.