Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
From Light and Tasty Magazine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar or 1⁄2 teaspoon Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups packed torn fresh spinach
- 1 (16 ounce) can navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups small cooked penne
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 8 teaspoons shredded parmesan cheese
- In a large dutch oven, saute onions and garlic in oil until tender.
- Stir in water, tomato puree, broth, oregano, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add the spinach and beans, cooked pasta and hot pepper sauce.
- Heat through, sprinkle with parmesan cheese.