Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is absolutely heaven. I made it without the sausage, and it was delicious. This is a definite make-again recipe. Recipe courtesy of Spilling the Beans.
- canola oil (for cooking) or olive oil (for cooking)
- 1 hot sausage or 1 mild Italian sausage or 1 chorizo sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups water
- 1c pasta (fusilli or other small pasta)
- 14 ounces tomato sauce or 14 ounces diced tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken stock or 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 teaspoon basil
- 3 cups spinach (torn or coarsely chopped)
- 2 cups white beans (rinsed and drained) or 2 cups kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
- parmesan cheese, freshly grated for serving
- In a large saucepan set over medium heat, heat a drizzle of oil and saute the sausage, breaking it up with a spoon, until it's no longer pink.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until soft.
- Add the water, pasta, tomato sauce, stock, oregano, and salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the pasta is tender.
- Add the spinach and beans and cook the soup for another 3 to 5 minutes.
- If it seems too thick, thin it with a little extra stock, tomato juice, or water.
- Ladle into bowls and top each serving with Parmesan while it's still hot.
This was awesome! Hearty and delicious! I used fresh tomatoes and some tuscan seasoning, but otherwise the same! Thanks for sharing!