Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
For such an easy soup to make, you're left with a flavorful addition to your meal....or make it a main course by serving with bread sticks and a salad. This is from the Naniboujou resort cookbook. Serves 6 to 8 as a side dish or 3-4 as a main course
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped onions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 16 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained well
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream (I use 1/2 and 1/2 to lighten things up)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon, zest of
- In a large sauce pan, melt the butter over low heat and saute the onion until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, saute another minute or two; mix in the drained spinach, basil and chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, approximately 10 minutes.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients.
- Heat and serve.
This recipe it from the Naniboujou Lodge (Grand Marais, Minnesota) recipe book. I've been making it for years and it is very good, quick and easy. I prefer to use five (5) cups of chicken stock, but that's just personal preference.