Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Freezable before baking; no need to defrost.
Make and share this Spinach Balls (Fried or Baked Recipe) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach, thawed but not drained
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 cup shredded romano cheese (or more)
- 1 dash nutmeg
- black pepper
- 1 dash cayenne
- cooking spray (for baking) or olive oil (for frying)
- additional romano cheese (to garnish)
- marinara sauce (for dipping)
- Saute onions and minced garlic in butter; place in large mixing bowl with undrained spinach, egg, breadcrumbs, 1 cup Romano, salt, nutmeg, black and cayenne pepper; mix thoroughly. Let mixture sit for 5 to 10 minutes to absorb moisture. Form into 1" balls.
- To fry:.
- Heat 1 inch of olive oil in large skillet. Fry in small batches until golden, 3 to 6 minutes, turning once; do not overcook or they will be dry. Drain on toweling. Skim drippings between batches.
- To bake:.
- Preheat oven 350 degrees. Spray baking sheet arranging spinach balls and spraying balls lightly. Bake uncovered until golden for about 25 minutes; do not overcook.
- Garnish with additional Romano. Serve warm or room temperature with marinara to dip.
Due to lack of time I made this as a baked slice in a rectangular casserole dish and cut it into squares and served it with sweet chilli sauce and it was marvellous. I followed the recipe exactly using frozen home grown spinach. Made for Everyday is a Holiday.
Just made them! They are DELICIOUS! I didn't drain both bags- just one and that kept them nice and moist! :)