Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe came from a brochure about toddler nutrition from the Tasmanian health department. The brochure is given to Australian mums as their kids embark upon the "picky eater" stage.
- 1 1⁄2 cups arborio rice
- 1 bunch fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 -3 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup grated cheese
- Cook onions in little oil over moderate heat until transparent.
- Add rice, stir over heat for 10 seconds.
- Add 1 cup of stock and stir.
- Add tomato paste, garlic and stir through.
- Simmer until liquid is almost absorbed.
- Add next cup of stock and repeat process.
- When final cup of stock is almost absorbed add spinach and stir through.
- Simmer covered until liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked (a little extra water may be required depending upon rice texture).
- Finally add cheese and mix through.
- Refrigerate until cold.
- Roll into balls and coat with bread crumbs.
- At this stage they may be frozen. Freeze well for up to 1 month.
- To serve, bake in oven, or lightly pan fry until heated through and golden brown.
- Serve with homemade or store bought tzatziki (yoghurt dip).