Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is great party food.
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 lb Italian bread
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded (optional)
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute garlic in oil.
- Add spinach, salt and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
- Remove from heat; cool for 5 minutes.
- Add bacon and mozzarella; mix well.
- Slice bread horizontally in half.
- Spread about 2 1/4 cups spinach mixture on each half.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan if desired.
- Bake at 450° for 6 to 8 minutes or until cheese is melted.
These were good, but not fabulous for us. The blend of flavors worked well, but the topping seemed dry on the bread. Perhaps a little cream cheese, sour cream, or something could be added to improve the consistency. Overall, they were OK on our Super Bowl snack buffet, but they weren't a real standout.