Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
The evening before our oldest son was born, I made a big bowl of this--a friend had told me that spinach was full of Vitamin K, which was supposed to help with nosebleeds (which I'd been having). Even though my water had already broke, I went ahead and ate supper--figuring a first baby would take its time showing up. And I was right---it was almost exactly 24 hours later before he was born. The following year, we had this for his birthday dinner (along with Spaghetti Alla Carbonara--which was "leftovers" for supper the night before he was born). That started a family tradition, so when each of our children was born, we made a note of our dinner menu--so their birthday dinners are very special!
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 4 -8 cups spinach
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons cider vinegar or 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- hard-boiled egg, chopped (optional)
- radish, sliced (optional)
- mushroom, sliced (optional)
- In a heavy skillet, fry bacon; crumble & set aside; reserve 2 T. drippings.
- While bacon is frying, mix greens with onion in a large serving bowl.
- To drippings in skillet, add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil, stirring constantly to bring up the fond.
- Drizzle dressing over greens in bowl; toss gently.
- Garnish with eggs, radishes, and mushrooms.
- Serve immediately.
This was exactly what the Dr. ordered. Had this for our Sunday lunch and it really hit the spot. Thanks for the great, heart healthy recipe. The only thing I did not put in was the optional radishes....forgot to buy them!
I just *LOVED* this salad. So simple to make, and the flavour was fantastic. I garnished with boiled eggs and thick slices of mushrooms. Mmmmmm. Thanks Debber, I'll be making this again...probably later today. :) Made for: Heart Healthy Tag ~ Feb 2010 - Diabetic Forum
Oh my! This takes me back to the late seventies, early eighties! Before people worried about bacon grease. It is as wonderful now as it was then!!! I loved the story behind this recipe...can't believe you sat down to dinner after your water broke. This salad is delicious....I loved it! This is a wonderful recipe...try it, you'll like it! I made this for Fall PAC 2009. Thanks so much for posting!