Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a dish you'll be happy to serve at any meal of the day - be it breakfast, lunch, or a light dinner with soup and/or salad. A delicious combination using ingredients from RSC #6.
- 1 pie pastry (for a 10-inch quiche or tart pan or 9-inch pie plate)
- 1 tablespoon dry breadcrumbs
- 8 ounces bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 cups chopped portabella mushrooms
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach, packed (very well dried)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese, divided use
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Sprinkle bottom of pastry-lined quiche/tart pan or pie plate with 1 tbsp dry breadcrumbs (this will absorb any excess moisture).
- Place bacon in a large skillet; cook over medium high heat until evenly brown; remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper toweling; set aside.
- With 2 tbsp of the bacon fat, sauté onion and mushrooms until all the liquid released by the mushrooms has evaporated; add spinach and cook 1-2 minutes, just until spinach wilts; add reserved bacon, coriander and nutmeg and season lightly (remember there will be salt in the cheese); place in pastry and top with 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese.
- Beat together cream cheese, eggs and milk; season to taste; carefully pour over quiche and gently shake quiche to distribute custard.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40-50 minutes, or until quiche is golden-brown, sprinkling with 1/2 cup of cheese 10 minutes before quiche is done (put the quiche directly on the oven floor for the last 10-15 minutes of baking to crisp up the crust); cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Well, my husband just told me that this is the best quiche he's ever had, and I agree. I used mushrooms, spinach (pre-cooked) and swiss cheese. Thanks for a good basic recipe, I look forward to playing around with it and seeing how many delicious combinations I can come up with.
Fabulous! Easy, quick, cheap and everyone loves it! A must for a healthy family (we used chicken instead of bacon). Yummy!
My daughter-in-law was the first to have me taste this delectable quiche and it has become my absolute favorite.!!I I have made quiche since the 70's when it was not popularly known and this is by far the BEST, fluffiest, tastiest of all! Follow the recipe exactly and you will get RAVES from your guests. Yum...yum.