Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Adapted from WeightWatchers - a Strata is sort of like an omlette, and sort of like a quiche. It's cooked stovetop, and then broiled in the oven - so if you don't have an oven-proof skillet, cover the handle with aluminum foil before broiling! Weight Watchers Points per slice: 4
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 slices cooked crisp turkey bacon
- 1⁄2 cup onion
- 1 cup cooked spinach
- cooking spray, 1 spray(s)
- 3 slices light whole wheat bread
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute
- 1⁄2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons grated parmesan cheese
- 3⁄4 cup cabot light reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring, until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Add onion sauté until vegetable are soft, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add spinach and fold until wilted. Remove vegetables from pan and set aside.
- Preheat broiler.
- Off heat, coat same skillet with cooking spray. Arrange bread slices tightly in bottom of skillet.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, EggBeaters, milk, mustard, salt and pepper; pour over bread and allow milk mixture to soak in entirely (like when you make French toast). Sprinkle bread with 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese.
- Place skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Cook, shaking pan frequently to promote even cooking, until almost cooked through to the top, about 4 or 5 minutes.
- Place skillet under broiler to set eggs, about 2 minutes. Remove skillet from broiler; top with bacon-vegetable mixture, cheddar cheese and remaining tablespoon of Parmesan cheese. Place skillet under broiler again until cheese melts, about 1 to 2 minutes. Slice into 6 pieces and serve. Yields 1 piece per serving.
This recipe was well received. Increased the bacon & added 1 more slice of bread. Decreased the salt & cheese. Added in some green peppers, banana peppers, tomatoes & zucchini. Turned out great & was very tasty.