Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A creamy rich sauce served over rice or toast. Sprinkle with chopped spicy nuts if preferred. This can be served for lunch or dinner.
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose white flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt or 1⁄2 teaspoon salt substitute
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded asiago cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole pecans or 1 1⁄2 cups whole walnuts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar or 1 teaspoon Splenda brown sugar blend
- Place spinach in a colandar and push down to squeeze water from the spinach.
- Put the spinach in a wide microwavable bowl and use fork to loosen and spread out.
- Add white wine.
- Cover. Cook at 70% power for 7 minutes. Set aside covered.
- In large saucepan add margarine and white flour. Wisk to mix until margarine and flour mixed.
- Slowly add milk while wisking and add salt.
- Wisk until it starts to thicken. Turn off heat and cover.
- In small saute pan add olive oil, cayenne pepper. Stir to mix.
- Add nuts and sugar and stir.
- Take off heat when nuts are coated and hot.
- Put nuts on chopping board and chop.
- Put in a small serving bowl to pass separately.
- Heat the cooked rice.
- Add cheese to sauce and stir in on low heat until the shredded cheese is melted and stirred into sauce.
- Uncover spinach and drain.
- Add to cream sauce and stir.
- Add white pepper if desired.
- Place the sauce in a tureen with serving spoon and pour over individual servings of hot rice or toast.
- Pass the nuts to sprinkle on top.
This was a really good recipe, but I did a couple of things differently. Firstly, since i don't have a microwave, I cooked my spinach on the stove. and secondly, I chopped my nuts before adding them to the mixture. i just found that it was much easier. But other than that it was a really good recipe, and a nice change from the rice pilaf I usually make.