Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
If you like spinach and artichoke dip, you will love these little baked appetizers. Double to make a full recipe using a whole package of spinach and a full can of artichokes, about 50 wontons-I haven't tried it but I think they would freeze nicely after baking and could be reheated in a hot oven for a few minutes. This recipe was a contest entry for RSC #11.
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 7 ounces quartered artichoke hearts in brine (1/2 of a 14 oz can)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 5 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry (1/2 of a 10 oz box)
- 1⁄4 cup grated asiago cheese
- 24 wonton wrappers
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375F and place rack in upper third of oven.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat, add onion and shallots, sauteing for about 4 minutes or until softened.
- Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds, then remove mixture from heat to a bowl, set aside.
- In a food processor, process cream cheese, mayonnaise, artichoke hearts and cayenne until smooth.
- Put cream cheese mixture in a medium bowl, and add onion mix, spinach, and asiago, mixing well to combine.
- Taste and add salt if needed. Mine didn't need any with the brined artichokes and the cheese.
- Lay out 24 wonton wrappers on counter and place about 1 heaping teaspoon of mixture on each wonton.
- Wet edges of wontons with water, fold in half to make triangles, pressing edges together so they stick.
- Place on a baking sheet lightly sprayed with cooking spray and bake for 10 minutes, until bottoms and edges are beginning to brown, turn over and continue to bake for about 4 more minutes or until both sides are crisped and slightly browned.
- Serve right out of the oven.
5 stars. YUM! Great idea. The filling was nice to work with and was a perfect amount for 24 wontons. The cheesy spinach filling did not overwhelm the flavour of the artichoke. I really enjoyed these simple to make appetizers! Reviewed for RSC #11.
YUM! I didn't get this review in time for the contest, but they were delightful! I reduced the mayo (personal pref,DH doesn't like it) but they are tasty! Just like a nice spinach artichoke dip in a little pocket! I will make them again for sure - and may try without the mayo!I love wonton appys for friends, and this will pair nicely with other recipes on here for my summer entertaining! Great idea!!
5 Star football food! Made these for the Superbowl for hubby and me. It ended up being dinner as we ate them all! :) The filling was very tasty and they browned up nice in the oven. I can't say as I would have changed anything about the recipe. I think these would pair well with salsa or marinara sauce for dipping!