1/2 Photos of Spinach Artichoke Potato Cakes With Shrimp Scampi
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry: I was thinking of a different recipe idea when I went to my pantry to get started. Staring back at me was a jar of marinated artichokes, and an epiphany. So, I scrapped my plans for a meal with black beans, and came up with what seemed like an obvious winner. The creaminess of the goat cheese pairs well with the spinach and artichoke, and it all goes beautifully with mashed potatoes. To make it a full meal, I went all out and served it with a delicious and simple shrimp scampi.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (24 ounce) package Simply Potatoes Traditional Mashed Potatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) jar marinated artichokes, drained
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 plum tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped (reserve 2 tablespoons for garnish)
- 1/2 cup goat cheese, crumbled (4oz package)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 lb raw shrimp, cleaned
- 1/2 lb bacon, diced
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1In a skillet over medium heat, brown bacon along with onion and 1 tablespoon of minced garlic. About 5-6 minutes. Remove Bacon and Onion mixture to a plate and reserve bacon fat in skillet for potato cakes.
- 2In a large bowl combine the following ingredients: Artichoke Hearts, Spinach, 1/4 cup minus 2 tablespoons of the Fresh Basil, Red Bell Pepper, Bacon and Yellow Onion mixture, Goat Cheese, Beaten Eggs, Flour and Mashed Potatoes. Fold generously to incorporate well.
- 3Using the skillet from the Bacon, over medium low heat. Spoon generous amounts, about 1/2 cup of the potato mixture. Flatten out gently with the back of a spatula. Allow cakes to brown on each side, approximately 2 minutes each side, flipping the cakes once. Repeat this process, recipe yields about 8 yummy potato cakes. Season with a sprinkling of Salt and Pepper.
- 4In a small bowl, combine diced tomato with the remaining fresh basil. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside for garnish.
- 5In a medium skillet over medium low heat, melt butter with remaining minced garlic. Add in raw shrimp, and sautee turning shrimp frequently, until fully cooked. About 6-8 minutes.
- 6To serve, plate 2 Potato Cakes and about 1/4 of the Shrimp Scampi. Garnish with Fresh Diced Tomatoes and Serve.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spinach Artichoke Potato Cakes With Shrimp Scampi
Serving Size: 1 (344 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 602.1
- Calories from Fat 370
- Total Fat 41.1 g
- Saturated Fat 16.8 g
- Cholesterol 305.3 mg
- Sodium 2937.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 30.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Simply Potatoes Traditional Mashed Potatoes