This Cheesy Lasagna is a great dish for for it can be made a day before to making hosting your dinner easier! Just add a crisp tossed salad and some crusty bread and olive oil for dipping it into. Use a glass pan because the artichokes will become discolored from metal ones.
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup white wine
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil (1 tablespoon dried)
- 1 (9 ounce) box frozen artichoke hearts, partially thawed (you can double these if you like)
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen chopped spinach, partially thawed or
- 6 -8 cups fresh Baby Spinach
- 1 cup chopped roasted sweet red pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons unbleached flour
- 2 cups light cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 -4 tablespoons seasoned dry bread crumbs
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook the noodles for 10 to 12 minutes, or until just tender.
- Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat, warm the oil.
- Add the onions and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until tender.
- Stir in the wine and basil; bring to a boil.
- Add the artichokes, fresh or frozen spinach and peppers; cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and cook until all the liquid has evaporated.
- Set aside.
- In a 1-quart saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Whisk in the flour; cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in the cream and milk, Parmesan, and nutmeg; cook, stirring constantly, for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the sauce boils and thickens.The cream sauce can be made in the microwave as well.
- Mix together mozzarella, ricotta, and egg in separate bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Coat a 9x13 inch glass or ceramic baking dish with nonstick spray.
- To assemble the lasagna, spread 1/3 cup of the sauce in the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Top with 4 of the noodles; spread with half of the artichoke mixture.
- Layer 1/3 of cheese mixture.
- Spoon 1/3 cup of the sauce over the artichoke mixture and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the bread crumbs.
- Repeating the layering.
- Top with the remaining 4 noodles.
- Spread with the remaining sauce, cheese and sprinkle with the remaining 1-2 tablespoon bread crumbs.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until bubbly.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.