Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I found this recipe online at Robbie's Recipe collection. She later changed the recipe she had listed, but I like this version much better.
- 2 lbs fresh spinach (frozen works well too)
- 1⁄4 cup butter not margarine
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic, preferably fresh
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream, low fat okay
- 1⁄2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 jar artichoke heart, coarsely chopped (Use canned, not marinated artichokes, about 5 or 6 in can)
- Steam spinach (or defrost if frozen).
- Strain and squeeze through cheesecloth.
- Must be very dry.
- Chop finely and set aside.
- In heavy saucepan, melt butter.
- Add garlic and onions and sauté about 3-5 minutes.
- Add flour to make a roux.
- Stir and cook about 1 minute.
- Slowly add heavy cream, stirring with a whisk to prevent lumping.
- Mixture will thicken at the boiling point.
- When it thickens, add lemon juice, Tabasco, salt and Parmesan cheese.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream.
- Fold in dry, chopped spinach, coarse diced artichoke hearts and Jack cheese.
- Stir until cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.
- OR: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put dip in oven safe container and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Heat for 10 minutes, or until cheese on top is melted.
- This is a good way to reheat the dip.
- Notes: Serve with salsa, sour cream, and tortilla chips for dipping.
I've never been to Houston's - so I can't do a comparison - but even my grandson (who hates spinach) loved this dip! I used fresh spinach & garlic, low fat sour cream & monterey jack cheese and chopped a small onion - then served with "scoops" & "crispers". Thanx Elmo!
Now that is what I am talking about!!! REAL spinach dip with a true white sauce base instead of using mayonnaise...YUK. This is a great recipe, it does taste a lot like the spinach dip at Houston's. It is also easy to change this up, add pepper's or whatever cheese you like to the sauce base, it is terrific!! :))
I enjoyed this dip. I halved the recipe and used frozen spinach. I bought a can of artichoke hearts and used 5 or 6 chopped hearts. I kicked the flavor up just a little by adding some ranch dip mix to the dip. Thanks Elmo!