The Giggle Box's Note:
I found this recipe online at Robbie's Recipe collection. She later changed the recipe she had listed, but I like this version much better.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs fresh spinach (frozen works well too)
- 1/4 cup butter not margarine
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic, preferably fresh
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup sour cream, low fat okay
- 1/2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 jar artichoke heart, coarsely chopped (Use canned, not marinated artichokes, about 5 or 6 in can)
- 1Steam spinach (or defrost if frozen).
- 2Strain and squeeze through cheesecloth.
- 3Must be very dry.
- 4Chop finely and set aside.
- 5In heavy saucepan, melt butter.
- 6Add garlic and onions and sauté about 3-5 minutes.
- 7Add flour to make a roux.
- 8Stir and cook about 1 minute.
- 9Slowly add heavy cream, stirring with a whisk to prevent lumping.
- 10Mixture will thicken at the boiling point.
- 11When it thickens, add lemon juice, Tabasco, salt and Parmesan cheese.
- 12Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- 13Stir in sour cream.
- 14Fold in dry, chopped spinach, coarse diced artichoke hearts and Jack cheese.
- 15Stir until cheese is melted.
- 16Serve immediately.
- 17OR: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 18Put dip in oven safe container and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- 19Heat for 10 minutes, or until cheese on top is melted.
- 20This is a good way to reheat the dip.
- 21Notes: Serve with salsa, sour cream, and tortilla chips for dipping.
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spinach Artichoke Dip (like Houston' s)
Serving Size: 1 (285 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 509.3
- Calories from Fat 416
- Total Fat 46.2 g
- Saturated Fat 25.0 g
- Cholesterol 132.4 mg
- Sodium 662.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 13.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: