Recipe by Sharlene~W
Spinach, apples, red onion & pecans in a sweet-tart dressing. To make this salad extra special, I like to glaze the pecans by stirring them with 1 tablespoon sugar in a medium non-stick frying pan over medium heat, stirring constantly until sugar melts. Pour them out on waxed paper and separate with your spoon while still warm. If you do this, you don't need to toast the pecans. It takes about 5 minutes or so for the sugar to melt.
Top Review by BothFex
A very nice autumnal salad. Served this last night with sausage and pumpkin pasta (#15276) for our annual pumpkin carving dinner party. All went well and I recieved compliments all around. A few changes I made to the salad: I was out of pecans so I used walnuts and as one of my dinner guests is alergic to raw apples I replaced them with pomegranate seeds- pretty and TASTEY! This is a keeper.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard (I prefer Dijon)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 golden delicious apple, halved, cored, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, cut in thin strips
- 3⁄4 lb fresh spinach, washed, stems removed, leaves torn
- 1⁄2 cup toasted pecans