Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
From the NY times "recipes for health" series.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs spinach, stemmed and washed thoroughly in 2 changes of water (or 12 ounces baby spinach)
- 1 -2 large garlic clove (to taste)
- 1 cup thick plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 allspice berries, ground (more to taste) or 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice (more to taste)
- 1 cloves, ground or 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds or 1 teaspoon freshly ground coriander
- 1. Blanch the spinach for 20 to 30 seconds or steam for 2 to 3 minutes. Rinse and squeeze out excess water and chop coarsely.
- 2. Pound the garlic to a paste with salt in a mortar and pestle. Stir into the yogurt and set aside.
- 3. Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a wide, heavy skillet and add the spices. Cook, stirring, until they begin to sizzle, and add the spinach. Cook, stirring, until heated through and coated with the oil and spices, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a food processor and pulse to a puree. Add the yogurt and blend together.