Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is SO delicious in the cold winter months, served with hot, freshly baked bread!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth (or 9 cups)
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian herb seasoning
- 8 -9 ounces chicken tortellini or 8 -9 ounces cheese tortellini
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 bunch fresh spinach, rinsed, stemmed and chopped or 1 (8 ounce) packageprewashed spinach
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- In oil in a large pot over medium heat, cook onion and garlic about 10 minutes until lightly browned.
- Add broth and herbs, bring to boil.
- Stir in tortellini, reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes with juice and simmer 5 more minutes.
- Add chopped spinach and simmer 3-5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve with a sprinkling of cheese on top.
Made for Fall PAC 2011 and what an easy and tasty dish. I cut the recipe in half, used homemade chicken broth and cheese filled tortellini. Definately a keeper. Thank you.
This was really good and we all enjoyed it; however, I will cut back on the garlic next time as it was a little strong and overpowered some of the other flavors. The soup was simple and quick to make and the flavor was very fresh and light. I will be making this one again. Thanks Christina P. for the new recipe for my file!