Recipe by Mamas Cookin
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry: These wonderfully soft biscuit pinwheels are delicious plain but are even better dipped in marinara sauce!
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 1⁄4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 1⁄2 cups Simply Potatoes Traditional Mashed Potatoes
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 lb bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 12 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3 ounces sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, combine the flour and the cold butter.
- Use your fingertips to work the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the mashed potatoes and mix just until incorporated.
- Add the egg and buttermilk and mix until a dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto a heavily floured surface and knead 25 to 30 times. Make sure you use plenty of flour on your board so that the dough doesn't stick.
- Divide the dough in half.
- Working with one half of the dough at a time, pat or roll into an 8-inch wide rectangle about 1/4” thick.
- In a small bowl, combined the bacon, spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, mozzarella cheese and garlic powder. Toss to combine.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of the spinach mixture over the dough.
- Starting on the long side, carefully roll the dough up into a log as tightly as you can and gently squeeze it together.
- Repeat with other half of dough.
- Wrap each half in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Unwrap. Using a serrated knife, cut into 1 inch thick “wheels”.
- Place on two parchment lined baking sheets about an inch apart.
- Bake in a preheated 475°F oven for 17 to 20 minutes until lightly browned.