Recipe by Cookin'Jay
A great, super easy salad to make for holiday gatherings. The red, white and green colors are especially festive, and the combination of sweet strawberries, pungent cheese and tang from the vinaigrette are a nice combination. And did I mention it was super easy?
- 1 lb baby spinach leaves (trimmed)
- 2 lbs fresh strawberries (sliced)
- 2 cups pecans (chopped)
- 1 cup feta cheese (crumbled)
- 1⁄2 red onion (sliced)
- 1 cup raspberry vinaigrette dressing (store bought is fine)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and trim the spinach leaves. (I like to remove the stems).
- Wash and remove the tops of the strawberries. Slice lengthwise into about 1/8 inch slices so that the slices look like "hearts".
- Thinly slice the red onion so that you have "round shavings".
- Toss the spinach leaves, 1/2 the strawberry slices, 1/2 the pecans and 1/4 cup of feta with 1/2 of the salad dressing.
- Arrange in a bowl or on a serving dish.
- On top, layer the remaining strawberry slices and onions.
- Drizzle with a little more dressing.
- Sprinkle the remaining pecans and feta on the salad and drizzle with a bit more dressing for color.
- Garnish with several whole strawberries (I like to slice partway through the whole berry, leaving the green leaves, and "fan" the slice out to make an attractive garnish).
- Serve immediately. Note: this salad will not keep long. The vinegar in the dressing will wilt the leaves and "melt" the cheese after a few hours).