Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
LCBO Food and Drink Winter 2000
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 whole scotch bonnet peppers or 1 whole jalapeno pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 bunch spinach, cleaned and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 8 ounces peeled shrimp
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, to taste
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Heat veg oil in large soup pot on med-high heat.
- Add onions and saute for 3 mins or til softened slightly.
- Add green onions,garlic,thyme,allspice and hot pepper of choice.
- Saute for 1 more minute.
- Add broth and bring to boil.
- Add spinach and coconut milk.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 15 mins or til spinach is limp.
- Remove hot pepper and discard.
- Add shrimp and cook for another 2 minutes or til pink and curled.
- Add lime juice, season well with salt and pepper.
I tried this recipe when the Food & Drink magazine came out in 2000 and I loved it. After losing my magazine, I am so happy to find this recipe again.