Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This quick simple-to-make soup is clock full of shrimp and spinach. The only time consuming part of making this is peeling all the shrimp (which isn't included in the prep time but takes about 30 - 45 minutes). Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit (September 2004)
- 6 cups chicken broth or 6 cups vegetable broth (I used the lower sodium broth)
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce (I used the low sodium soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1 tablespoon ginger, peeled and minced
- 3 carrots, shredded
- 5 tablespoons miso
- 2 lbs small shrimp, peeled
- 4 cups spinach, trimmed and chopped roughly
- 1 shallots, chopped or 1⁄2 cup green onion, sliced
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon chili oil
- In a large pot, place first four ingredients (broth- ginger) and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add carrots and reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place miso in a bowl and whisk in 1/2 cup of the hot broth.
- Return all to pan.
- Return to a boil and add shrimp, spinach and shallot (or green onion).
- Simmer for 5 minutes or until shrimp is pink.
- Stir in chili oil and remove from heat.
This is yummy. I never made anything with miso before and of course the local grocery store didn't have any. When I looked for substitutes, nothing sounded like a very good substitution. I decided I needed to find the real thing. Interesting stuff. Reminded me of vegemite. I only used one pound of shrimp because it's so expensive and could only find the really little ones already cooked so added at the end and heated through.
This was great!
Have had a terrible cold, fever and sore throat combined for five days. I read this recipe and it sounded so good that I just had to make it up! I did add 3 cloves garlic, lotus roots and pea pods from the garden. This was fantastic. It soothed the throat, real comfort food. Thanks for posting this recipe. I will be making this on a regular basis!