1/2 Photos of Spinach and Sausage Stuffed Peppers
Use hot or sweet Italian sausages, or mix them up. This recipe uses the smaller Cubanelle or Italian frying peppers rather than bell peppers. They are sliced lengthwise to form a boat-like vessel for the filling rather than trying to stand them up. From "Food and Wine" magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 ounces Baby Spinach
- 2 slices white bread, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons red onions, chopped
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage or 1 lb hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 8 small cubanelle peppers or 4 large italian peppers, halved lengthwise and cored stems left intact
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup canned tomato sauce
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1In a large skillet, over medium high heat, wilt the spinach for about one minute, then drain and press out all of the water; chop coarsely.
- 2Wipe out the skillet.
- 3In a large bowl, combine the bread, milk, egg, and cheese; knead to form a dough.
- 4Mix in the pine nuts, onion, sausage, and spinach; lightly season with salt and pepper.
- 5Pack the mixture into the peppers (you may want to moisten your hands to prevent the filling from sticking to them).
- 6Heat the oil in the skillet, then add the peppers, filling side down; cook until well browned, about 4 minutes.
- 7Turn the peppers over and cook until the skins are browned and blistered, another 4 minutes.
- 8Add tomato sauce and the chicken broth, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer to cook through, about 5 or 6 minutes.
- 9Serve the peppers with the sauce spooned on top.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spinach and Sausage Stuffed Peppers
Serving Size: 1 (335 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 428.0
- Calories from Fat 265
- Total Fat 29.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 90.8 mg
- Sodium 1166.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 25.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: