Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
I found the original recipe for this on the back of the Stouffer's box and have tinkered a bit with the ingredients and directions. This is an excellent use of their Spinach Souffle.
- 1 package stouffer frozen spinach souffle, defrosted
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3⁄4 cup water or 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 2 1⁄3 cups herb stuffing mix (not crouton style)
- 1⁄2 lb bulk sausage, thoroughly cooked,drained and crumbled (I use breakfast sausage)
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, plus additional for garnish
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs whole white mushrooms, stems removed and chopped
- Melt butter in medium saucepan; add onion, garlic and mushroom stems, cook until onion is translucent.
- Add water (or broth); heat to boiling.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Add stuffing mix and stir until moistened.
- Stir in souffle, cooked sausage and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese.
- Stir well.
- Arrange mushrooms on baking sheet and fill with spinach mixture, mounding slightly.
- Sprinkle with additional parmesan cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 10- 15 minutes or until cheese and mushrooms are lightly browned.
This was a wonderful combination. One thing I did add that I saw Rachel Ray do was after destemming mushrooms, brush them with EVO and bake about 10 min. - then fill and bake according to your directions. They stayed firm and delicious. Thanks for sharing your great recipe. Shirleec
This is my very favorite version of stuffed mushrooms! These always get RAVE reviews whenever I serve them. Thank you for posting this and reminding me that I need to make these soon!