Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a great meal-in-one pot type of soup. I use turkey Italian sausage to cut down on the fat content. We love the Parmesan cheese toasts on top...use a nice crusty bread for those.
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage, casings removed, crumbled (sweet or hot)
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 lb spinach, stems trimmed
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup broken pieces capellini (1-inch) or 1⁄2 cup vermicelli
- 4 slices French bread, 1/2-inch thick
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated parmesan cheese, divided
- Heat a large saucepot over high heat. Add sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until brown, 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds. Add spinach and broth. Fill one empty can of broth with water; add to pot. Cover and bring mixture to a boil. Add capellini, cover and boil 2 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, heat broiler. Broil bread slices on cookie sheet about 1 minute per side, until toasted. Drizzle each slice with 1 teaspoons oil; sprinkle each with 1/2 teaspoons Parmesan cheese.
- Divide soup among 4 large soup bowls and top each serving with prepared toasts.
Excellent soup! This was very easy to make but packed with flavour. A definite make again recipe. I used lean hot italian sausage, decreased the amount of spinach and increased the amount of capellini. Teenagers loved it! I used a pre-shredded italian cheese mix instead of just parmesan, and next time I think I'll use even more cheese and broil for a couple of minutes to fully melt the cheese. Great recipe, Hey Jude!
This was very easy and very tasty; however, I can't give it all five stars, because I will change a couple of things next time. I'll use an entire pound of sausage (sweet Italian turkey) instead of just a half. Will also add more than a half cup of pasta. I eyeballed it until it looked right. I also sprinkled parmesan directly onto my bowl of soup after I had salted and peppered it. Really a yummy, quick meal!