Recipe by GothicGranola
from 'The Essential Eating Well Cookbook' Per Calzone: 368 Calories; 8 G fat (3 G sat, 2 G mono); 61 G Carbs; 16 G Protein; 10 G Fiber Note: You can use whatever kind of dough you want with this recipe. It doesn't have to be whole-wheat.
- cornmeal, for dusting
- 1 lb whole wheat pizza dough
- 3⁄4 cup prepared marinara sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, rinsed and sliced (1/2 cup)
- 3⁄4 cup crumbled feta (3 oz) or 3⁄4 cup ricotta cheese (3 oz)
Directions See How It's Made
- Position rack in lowest position; preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Sprinkle a baking sheet generously with cornmeal.
- Prepare Whole-Wheat Pizza Dough, or other dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, divide the dough into 4 pieces. Roll each piece into an 8-inch circle. Spread 2 Tbsp sauce on the lower half of each circle, leaving a 1-inch border. Season spinach with salt and pepper and distribute it over the sauce. Top with roasted red peppers and cheese.
- Brush the border with cold water and fold the top half of each circle over filling. Fold the edges over and crimp with a fork to seal. Transfer the clazones to the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the calzones for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden. Let cool slightly before serving.