Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
From Bon Appetite. April 2000 - but this recipe is in my 2001 book.
- 4 medium beets, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 8 cups fresh spinach leaves, trimmed (about 8 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 450°F Wrap beets in foil. Roast until beets are tender when pierced with skewer, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Cool beets slightly. Peel beets; cut into wedges. Place in medium bowl.
- Whisk vinegar, oil, soy sauce and ginger in small bowl to blend well. Season vinaigrette to taste with salt and pepper. Add red onion and half of vinaigrette to beets and toss to blend.
- Place spinach in large bowl. Drizzle remaining vinaigrette over; toss to coat. Arrange beet mixture atop spinach.