Recipe by sassafrasnanc
Rich and scrumptious, this is a great brunch dish as well as any other meal! Fairly simple to make. I prefer chopped FRESH spinach but I am posting this recipe as it was given to me. Also, I add feta or Montrachet cheese sometimes if I have it on hand.
Top Review by ChoCho
Hubby says it's amazing! I've made this many times now and we can't get enough. Once, I used frozen spinach with cooked chopped italian sausage. Another time, I've used fresh chopped spinach with chopped deli ham, and another with other veggies. I always leave out the nutmeg as I am not a fan. Such a great recipe. Thanks so much!
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach
- 1 small onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) carton ricotta cheese
- 1 cup light cream
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prick pie shell (9" pie pan) and prebake in hot oven for 5-8 minutes until lightly browned. Turn oven down to 350 degrees when pie crust is done.
- Cook spinach until thawed and warm. Drain very well, squeezing excess moisture out with hands. (Do not precook spinach if using fresh).
- Saute onion in butter and stir in spinach, salt, nutmeg and black pepper.
- In separate bowl, combine Ricotta cheese, cream Parmesan cheese and eggs and blend well.
- Add spinach mixture and stir well.
- Pour into prebaked pie shell and bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until custard is set.
- Garnish with finely chopped parsley and sliced cherry tomatoes if desired.
- May be served hot or room temperature.