Recipe by I'mPat
Was looking for a sausage roll recipe that used spinach, ricotta and puff pastry. Couldn't find one here on ZAAR but after a google search I came across this one on someones blog site, and posting here to pass onto a friend.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 red onion (diced)
- 500 g frozen spinach (thawed and squeezed of liquid)
- 50 g pine nuts
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 500 g ricotta cheese (fresh)
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1 egg (lightly beaten and mixed with a little milk)
- 3 sheets puff pastry
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 200C (390F) fan forced or 220C (435/430F) convectional, please note that there can be slight variations between ovens.
- Heat oil in a fry pan, add onion and fry gently for 2 minutes, add spinach and pinenuts and season with salt and pepper to taste and cook for 5 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Add ricotta and mix thoroughly and then add the lightly beaten egg and mix well together.
- Place pastry sheets on a flat surface and cut in half.
- Spoon or pipe spinach mixture along the length of each half of the pastry and brush water down the length of the other side and roll up like a sausage roll, repeat with other sheets of pastry and mix.
- Cut to preferred size (I like to cut into 4 to make mini rolls about 6cm long).
- Put a couple of slits in each roll (to allow steam to escape).
- Place on baking tray/sheet seam side down.
- Put in oven and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.