Recipe by BennyPashova
Quick to prepare healthy, low calorie soup. If you like spinach you’ll find this soup delicious and filling – a great recipe when you are trying to shed a few extra pounds. The lemon gives it just a little bit of tang. You may add extra garlic if you like bolder taste.
Top Review by Chef#856954
This was exactly what I was looking for! Had to make some minor adjustments for what was on hand in my kitchen- I used fresh spinach-but flash boiled it beforehand. I also used Swanson chicken broth instead of the stock cubes. Could even be a great Vegan meal! Use Vegetable stock and walla-VEGAN friendly! Thanks Benny, this was just what I was looking for today! and I love that you added lemon juice! I always have to have a fresh lemon wedge with clear broth soups!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 cups white rice
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 1 lb canned spinach
- 2 quarts water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Thinly chop and sauté the onion in the vegetable oil. Add a bit of water if necessary to prevent burning.
- Mince garlic and add to the sautéed onions along with the rice. Fry mixture for a couple of minutes to ensure that the rice won’t get mushy later.
- Drain spinach and pour the reserved liquid in the pot. Run your knife through the drained spinach chopping the longer stems.
- Add chicken cubes, white pepper, paprika and lemon juice and water.
- Cook for 20 min on medium high heat or until the rice is tender.
- The soup will have a thicker consistency. You can add more water or chicken stock to adjust the thickness to your preferences.