Use baby spinach leaves to prepare this light and fresh-tasting soup. From a cookbook given to me by my swap parener, Pneuma, "500 Greatest-Ever Vegetarian Recipes."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the spinach in a large pan with just the water that clings to its leaves after washing. Add a large pinch of salt. Heat gently until the spinach has just wilted, then remove from heat and drain, reserving any liquid.
- 2Either chop the spinach finely using a large knife or place it in a food; processor and process into a fairly course puree.
- 3Heat the oil in a large, heavy saucepan. Add the onion, garlic and chile and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally for 4 - 5 minutes, until softened.
- 4Add the rice and stir until all the grains are well coated, then pour in the stock and reserved spinach liquid. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then lower the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- 5Add the spinach and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 5 - 7 minutes more, until the rice is tender. Check the seasoning and serve in warmed soup plates with the grated Pecorino cheese.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spinach and Rice Soup
Serving Size: 1 (257 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 203.2
- Calories from Fat 98
- Total Fat 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 136.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 6.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: