Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Found this in the Oct. 2005 issue of Family Circle. I think it sounds wonderful! I can't wait to make it. (don't let the # of steps discourage you - it really isn't difficult or very time consuming)
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup cottage cheese
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried dill
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach, thawed
- 8 ounces cooked rice, cooled
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 ounces phyllo dough (about 10 sheets)
- In small skillet, over medium heat, saute scallions in 1 tbsp of the butter until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Let cool slightly.
- In large bowl, lightly beat eggs. Stir in feta and cottage cheeses, dried dill, salt and scallions.
- With your hands, gently squeeze all water out of the spinach.
- Add spinach, rice and lemon to egg mixture, stirring to combine well.
- Heat oven to 350F and set out a 9-inch deep dish pie plate. Melt remaining 5 tbsp butter.
- Unroll phyllo; keep covered with plastic wrap. Working quickly and carefully, remove 1 sheet and place on a clean, flat surface.
- Brush very lightly with melted butter and place in pie plate with about 2 inches of the phyllo hanging over the rim.
- Repeat with 7 more sheets, arranging them around the pie plate in an overlapping pattern with a 2-inch overhang.
- Scrape spinach filling into pie plate, smoothing the top.
- Brush butter over 1 phyllo sheet, fold it in half and place it on top of the filling.
- Repeat with a second sheet.
- Gentliy lift the overhanging phyllo over the top to encase the pie.
- Lightly brush the top with any remaining butter.
- Bake at 350F for 50 minutes or until filling reaches 160F and crust is golden.